Super simple, tasty recipe using beautiful Kaipara Kumara - New Zealand's very own superfood. This dish has origins in India and goes deliciously with lamb.
Serves: 4 as a side
- 100ml veg oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 red onion, finely diced
- 3 tsp garlic paste
- 3 tbsp tomato purée
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 2 tsp coriander seeds, toasted and ground
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 large kumara, diced
- 2 tbsp fresh coriander
- 2 green chillies, minced added to taste
- Heat the oil in a large pan and add the cumin. Cook until they just begin to change colour. Stir in the onion and cook until turning golden.
- Add the garlic paste, spices and salt and cook this base until fragrant. Add the kumara and combine. Cook over a medium heat until the oil separates, then add 2 cups of water. Continue to cook until the kumara is soft and the water has evaporated.
- Remove from heat and add the coriander and chilli to serve.