Pistachio & kumara couscous
Prep time 10 mins Cook time 20 mins Total time 30 mins
Cuisine: Kiwi, Middle Eastern
- 1 cup couscous
- 1 cup chicken stock, almost boiling
- 1½ tbsp olive oil, divided measure
- 1 orange kumara
- ½ cup broccoli, broken into small florets and blanched
- ½ onion, finely diced
- 1 carrot, finely diced
- ½ tsp each cumin, coriander and turmeric
- 3 tomatoes, diced
- 1 400g can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 100g pistachio nuts, dry toasted with 2 tbsp sunflower seeds and ½ tsp paprika
- ½ cup mixed parsley and coriander,
- Sliced zest of a lemon
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place couscous into a bowl and pour in hot stock. Add ½ tbsp oil and combine. Cover and let steam for about 3 minutes. Remove cover and fluff with a fork. Set aside.
- Roll the kumara in a paper towel and microwave on high for 4 minutes. Peel and dice. Place into a med bowl with the blanched broccoli. Set aside.
- Heat a pan on a med heat and add the oil. When hot add the onions, carrots and cook until sweet, about 5 minutes, then add the tomato then cumin, coriander, turmeric, season and combine. Add 3 tbsp of water and combine.
- Add the chickpeas and cook for a further 2 minutes or until heated through. Remove. Add the warmed chickpeas to the fluffed couscous and combine, now add the broccoli and kumara. Add the fresh herbs with the zest and gently combine.
- Season, finally sprinkle over the roughly chopped pistachio and sunflower mix to serve.